Germany’s last court theatre is located in Saxony's most traditional state spa. The theatre is named after the simple predecessor building from 1888, when King Albert reigned in Saxony. Soon this theatre seemed too modest for the glamorous spa development. The new theatre was built and inaugurated in 1914 by the then King Friedrich August III. of Saxony.
To meet the expectations of international and royal guests, the architects Alfred Zapp and Erich Basarke designed a modern building mixing Art Nouveau and Neoclassicsm. The theatre is connected to a historic guesthouse. This allowed both, using the dining room as theatre refreshment room and indoor access for hotel guests. Today, events all year round still guarantee royal entertainment.
König Albert Theater
08645 Bad Elster
Visits: on appointment