The theatre is temporarily closed for restoration!
The New Palace in Sanssouci park was built 1763–1769 for the Prussian king Frederick II the Great. Besides apartments for guests and banqueting halls, the king had a theatre installed in the south wing. The facade does not indicate the existence of a theatre. Only the statues on the eaves with their masques and musical instruments could be a hint.
The auditorium inside has the form of an amphitheatre and is decorated in Frederick’s variant of the Rococo style: gilded hermes and rocailles contrast with the red velvet of the benches, gilded palm trees and trophies with musical instruments frame the stage. The theatre seats 226 spectators and offers operas, plays, and ballet performances all year round.
Schlosstheater im Neuen Palais
Visits: temporarily closed for restoration!