Located in the Old Orangery in Łazienki Park, this is an authentic 18th century court theatre, the only one still preserved in Poland. It was erected from 1784 to 1788 on the order of King Stanisław August Poniatowski by the Italian architect Domenico Merlini. The impressive illusionistic painted ceiling shows Stanisław August as Apollo on a quadriga, painted by Jan Bogumił Plersch, the king’s court painter.
In the corners are images of the best playwrights according to the king’s opinion: Sophocles, Shakespeare, Molière and Racine. The theatre is still used for performances, concerts and classes. In another part of the Old Orangery the royal collection of sculptures is presented. The lovely park also features an 18th century open-air theatre.
Teatr Królewski w Starej Oranżerii
ul. Agrykoli 1
Visits: by appointment during the Royal Łazienki Museum opening hours