The monks and their theatre The golden age of Ottobeuren began when the baroque monastery was built, to which a theatre hall was added in 1725. Under the guidance of the monks, students of the Benedictine school performed Christian plays, as was customary in the 17th and 18th centuries in many monasteries.
Nowadays, only two of these monastic school theatres are preserved in all of Europe, and Ottobeuren is the oldest one. The theatre hall features a wealth of ceiling paintings, frescos and stuccos. The stage is not used anymore, but the theatre hall is part of the tour through the stately rooms of the monastery.
Visits: from Palm Sunday to All Saints’ Day (1st November), daily from 10am-12pm and 2-5pm. Last entrance 20 minutes before closure. Limited opening times in winter.